THE POSITION: General Psychiatry Position
Horizon Health Network, Saint John area (Region 2), is actively seeking a permanent, full-time salaried Psychiatrist. The physician shall provide both outpatient and inpatient services under the auspices of the Medical Specialties Program and participate in the on-call rota of the Department of Psychiatry at the Saint John Regional Hospital. The successful candidate will provide psychiatric clinical and administrative leadership within a multidisciplinary team focused on supporting individuals with serious mental illnesses, maximizing their capacity to function in the community. A strong background in delivering community based care to individuals with psychotic illnesses is expected.
Teaching of medical students, psychiatry residents and family medicine residents is an integral part of this position. The successful candidate should have experience teaching in an academic setting and would be supported to apply for a clinical academic appointment from the Department of Psychiatry at Dalhousie University, Halifax and Memorial University, Newfoundland and Labrador as both faculties of medicine have medical learners training in Saint John.
Horizon has an annual budget of approximately $1.1 billion and has more than 12,600 employees, 1,100 physicians and 5,200 volunteers, auxiliary and alumnae members, as well as 17 foundations and 18 auxiliary and alumnae organizations. Horizon ensures representation from urban and rural areas through a 15-member Board that consists of 7 appointed and 8 elected members of the public.
- HOURS OF WORK: Hours of work are normally provided between 0830hrs – 1630hrs Monday to Friday, unless otherwise agreed upon by the Service/Department Head.
- After-hours and weekend call coverage in coordination with members of the Department.
- These responsibilities are basic. Additional duties may be assigned from time to time as may be necessary to the operation of Horizon Health Network.Ensure adequate coverage for your patients during time of absence.
- Participate in on-call responsibilities as defined by your department.
- Participate in medical practice that is compatible with the Health Authority’s mission, values, and strategic directions.
There are two (2) remuneration models available:
- Fee-for-Service: This is a direct compensation between the physician and Medicare of New Brunswick. On call remuneration is provided. No source deductions can be provided.
- Salaried: Remuneration is based on the New Brunswick Medical Pay Plan. The current rates range between $296,141 to a maximum of $360,032 annually (excluding benefits and source deductions) based on qualifications and experience. On call remuneration is Fee-for-Service which is a direct compensation between the physician and Medicare New Brunswick.
· Moving Expense Allowance with a Return of Service.
· Candidates may be eligible for a Provincial Recruitment Incentive with a Return of Service Agreement.
EXPECTED START DATE:
As soon as possible
ABOUT THE COMMUNITY:
A playground in Atlantic Canada surrounded by fresh waterways on one side and the ocean on the other.
With a community of Maritime and Acadian people whose rich friendly culture will include you.
To a community where families are able to raise their children in a safe, close-knit environment with a reasonable cost of living.
The Saint John area offers you a broad range of affordable housing options, from heritage properties to executive homes within the city and in nearby Kennebecasis Valley. Saint John, a booming harbor city is Canada's oldest incorporated city (1785) and home to the country's oldest museum and farmers' market. For spouses and families, there are excellent employment and educational prospects. The nearby towns and villages, such as St. Stephen, Sussex, and Grand Manan, provide a diverse selection of recreational and sport activities that appeal to all age groups.
- QUALIFICATIONS:A medical degree is required.
- Certification with the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, or equivalent qualifications in Psychiatry will be considered.
- Candidates must be eligible for licensure with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick.
- Proficiency in English is required.
- In accordance with immigration requirements, preference will be given to Canadian citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and team-building skills.
- Good attendance and work record.
- Physically able to perform assign duties.