The Moncton Hospital (TMH), a facility within the Horizon Health Network, is seeking Family Physician Hospitalists to expand our Hospitalist Program. Hospitalists are responsible for providing comprehensive inpatient care for assigned patients admitted to our institution or transferred from specialty services for appropriate family medicine care.
The position is typically shared between two physicians working 7 days on/7 days off. The schedule is evolving and negotiable. Physicians are on-call every other night while on duty and receive a mandated on-call stipend. There is fee-for-service billing for any call-backs to the hospital while on-call after regular working hours. Scheduling vacation/absences would be determined within the group which will have responsibility to maintain ongoing coverage.
The Moncton Hospital is a 386-bed, tertiary and critical care facility within Horizon Health Network. It is a major referral hospital serving communities across New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and northern Nova Scotia. It is a level II Trauma Centre which offers tertiary services in neurosurgery, oncology and neonatal care and includes all other major services and subspecialties. The Department of Family Medicine admits patients not requiring obstetrics, surgery intensive care or acute psychiatric care. The scope of practice includes pediatrics, general medicine and geriatrics with consultant support.
Horizon Health Network, www.horizonnb.ca, is one of the largest health-care organization in Atlantic Canada, operating 12 hospitals and more than 100 medical facilities, clinics and offices providing medical services ranging from acute care to community based health services to New Brunswick, northern Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. With 1,000 physicians, an annual budget exceeding $1 billion and approximately 13,000 employees, Horizon Health Network’s strategic vision focuses on research, innovation and education.
A typical weekly schedule will include:
- To provide comprehensive medical care of hospitalized patients who have no local family physician or whose family physician does not have privileges at TMH. The total number of patients under one hospitalist’s care would be to upper limit of 25 patients.
- To optimize admission orders, treatment and investigative modalities and timely discharge planning.
- To ensure effective and timely electronic documentation and communication with the patient and the patient’s family/support system during the hospital stay.
- To ensure efficient completion of dictated discharge summaries/documentation, i.e. special authorizations, etc., to facilitate continuity of care with other health care providers in the community.
- To optimize efficient utilization of health care resources.
- To organize daily rounds in order to optimize care of acutely ill patients and timely discharges.
- To participate in a rotating call schedule.
- To participate in the use of departmental and corporate evidence-based rules of practice to ensure that expected standards of care are achieved.
- To participate in medical practice that is compatible with the Horizon Health Network’s mission, values and strategic directions.
- To participate in hospital quality initiatives and committees.
- To attend required departmental and hospital quality meetings.
- To potentially participate, if requested by the Clinical Department Head, on some committee/administrative work for the department.
- As a teaching site for Dalhousie University, the hospitalist team may be asked to provide teaching to family medicine residents/learners, for which a faculty appointment can be arranged if qualified.
Remuneration is $152-168/hour sessional rate x 8 hours per day. The rate is based on performance and can be retroactive. Positions are typically shared between two physicians working 7 days on/7 days off. The schedule is evolving and negotiable. Physicians are on-call every other night while on duty and receive a mandated on-call stipend. There is fee-for-service billing for any call-backs to the hospital while on-call after regular working hours.
• Moving Expense Allowance
• Opportunity to teach with the Family Medicine Residency Training Program with faculty appointment with Dalhousie Medical School, https://medicine.dal.ca/
EXPECTED START DATE:
As soon as possible.
ABOUT THE COMMUNITY:
The city, with adjoining municipalities, has a population of more than 144,000, and was ranked as one of the best Canadian cities for quality of community life. There is an abundance of educational, cultural and recreational opportunities including easy access to warm water beaches of the Northumberland Strait, and also the scenic Bay of Fundy area. Visit the City’s website at www.moncton.ca. On top of these benefits, Moncton residents take advantage of one of the lowest cost of living environments in the country and commute to work times are among the shortest in Canada.
- Must hold a valid license with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick.
- Must be a member in good standing with the College of Family Physicians of Canada.
- Must be a licentiate of the Medical Council of Canada (LMCC).
- Must have a current malpractice insurance from the Canadian Medical Protective Association appropriate to the category of practice.
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support is preferred.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and team-building skills.
- Good attendance and work record.