THE POSITION: Anatomic Pathologist with additional experience / training in Molecular Pathology and / or Dermatopathology
Horizon Health Network, Saint John area (Region 2), is actively seeking two (2) full-time Anatomical Pathologists in the Department of Laboratory Medicine at the Saint John Regional Hospital.
The first position is for a molecular pathologist and/or dermatopathologist who will be employed in the Division of Anatomic Pathology and will be expected to provide Molecular Pathology expertise to a busy service that performs molecular testing for Southwestern New Brunswick. Current services include many stand-alone tests for various tumor mutations as well as broad Next Generation Sequencing for hematologic malignancies and solid tumors. The pathologist will work in conjunction with a Molecular Geneticist who currently oversees the service. The pathologist will be dividing their time between general anatomic pathology service and molecular pathology consultation.
The second position is for an experienced anatomical pathologist with broad surgical pathology skills, subspecialty would be desirable. Applications for Locum Tenens of three (3) months or longer will also be considered for this position.
Horizon has an annual budget of approximately $1.1 billion and has more than 12,600 employees, 1,100 physicians and 5,200 volunteers, auxiliary and alumnae members, as well as 17 foundations and 18 auxiliary and alumnae organizations. Horizon ensures representation from urban and rural areas through a 15-member Board that consists of 7 appointed and 8 elected members of the public.
HOURS OF WORK:
- Hours of work are normally provided between 0830hrs – 1630hrs Monday to Friday, unless otherwise agreed upon by the Service/Department Head.
- After-hours and weekend call coverage in coordination with members of the Department.
These responsibilities are basic. Additional duties may be assigned from time to time as may be necessary to the operation of Horizon Health Network:
- Provide expert advice and consultative services to physicians and other healthcare professionals on the choice, methods, and interpretation of molecular pathology tests and their use in the diagnosis of medical disorders.
- Periodically assess scope of current services in context of emerging standards of care.
- Participate in quality assurance exercises for divisions of anatomic pathology, Hematopathology and molecular pathology.
- Provide on-call services during statutory holidays, evenings and weekends as part of the on-call schedule for the Department. Participate in medical practice that is compatible with the Health Authority’s mission, values and strategic directions.
This is a salaried position, remuneration is based on the New Brunswick Medical Pay Plan. The current rates range between $281,841 (22.5% Market Adjustment included) to a maximum of $342,610 (22.5% Market Adjustment included) annually (locums receive 10% of the base salary in lieu of benefits) based on qualifications and experience.
On call remuneration is Fee-For-Service which is a direct compensation between the physician and Medicare New Brunswick.
Moving Expense Allowance. (Locums not eligible.)
EXPECTED START DATE:
- Molecular Pathology Position– ASAP
- Anatomical Pathology Position – Negotiable
A playground in Atlantic Canada surrounded by fresh waterways on one side and the ocean on the other.
With a community of Maritime and Acadian people whose rich friendly culture will include you.
To a community where families are able to raise their children in a safe, close-knit environment with a reasonable cost of living.
The Saint John area offers you a broad range of affordable housing options, from heritage properties to executive homes within the city and in nearby Kennebecasis Valley. Saint John, a booming harbour city is Canada's oldest incorporated city (1785) and home to the country's oldest museum and farmers' market. For spouses and families, there are excellent employment and educational prospects. The nearby towns and villages, such as St. Stephen, Sussex, and Grand Manan, provide a diverse selection of recreational and sport activities that appeal to all age groups.
- Medical Degree is required.
- Certification with the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada in Anatomical pathology, equivalent qualifications will be considered.
- Formal training in Molecular Pathology and /or Dermatopathology is desirable.
- Must be eligible for licensure with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick.
- Must be a member in good standing with the and the New Brunswick Medical Society.
- Must have current malpractice insurance from the Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA) appropriate to the category of practice.
- Proficiency in English is required. Bilingual skills would be considered an asset. In accordance with immigration requirements, preference will be given to Canadian citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and team-building skills.
- Good attendance and work record.
- Physically able to perform assigned duties.