Salaried Hospitalist Physician Opportunity –
Fredericton, New Brunswick
Fredericton, New Brunswick
Horizon Health Network seeks a salaried full-time hospitalist physician for the Dr. Everett Chalmers Regional Hospital in Fredericton,
New Brunswick. The successful candidate will share equitable evening and weekend call responsibilities with the team of hospitalist physicians. Experience in hospital based medicine would be an asset but is not required.
The physician will provide medical care to hospitalized patients in a multidisciplinary health care environment. Comprehensive plan of care including optimizing admission orders, ordering treatment and investigative modalities, and discharge planning are part of the day to day workday. You would be joining a vibrant collegial team who love the work they do - and although your work day will be up to you to prioritize, the team is always supporting one another with challenging cases and interesting medicine.
Horizon Health Network (www.horizonnb.ca) is the largest regional health authority in New Brunswick and the second-largest health authority in Atlantic Canada, operating 12 hospitals and more than 100 medical facilities, clinics and offices providing medical services ranging from acute care to community based health services to New Brunswick, northern Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. With 1,000 physicians, an annual budget exceeding $1 billion and approximately 13,000 employees, Horizon Health Network’s strategic vision focuses on research, innovation and education.
The Chalmers Hospital is a regional referral hospital with all major surgical services on site with the exception of cardiac and neurosurgery. With 314 beds and a 9-bed intensive care unit, the Chalmers Hospital serves a catchment population of approximately 175,000. It is also a training site for the Dalhousie University Family Medicine Program.
HOURS OF WORK
Weekdays as well as weekend, holiday or after hours responsibilities (typical requirement is one night per week, and one weekend per month).
- Comprehensive medical care of hospitalized patients, who have no local family physician or whose family physician does not have privileges at DECRH, to include discharge patient instructions and efficient completion of dictated discharge summaries to facilitate continuity of care with primary care physicians. Max total number of patients under one hospitalist’s care: is 15 patients.
- Optimize efficient utilization of health care resources.
- Organization of daily rounds to optimize care of acutely ill patients and timely patient discharge.
- Assist as required with any in-hospital medical emergencies when on site as part of the code team.
- Accept admissions on an as-needed basis where there is no receiving family physician with privileges
- Use evidence-based rules of practice to ensure that standards of care are achieved.
- Participate in medical practice that is compatible with the Health Authority’s mission, values and strategic directions.
- In the interest of promoting public health, participate in the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of treatment, education, counseling and health promotion programs and services for individuals, families and the community.
- Comply and keep up to date with CFPC CME annual requirements
- Comply with the policies and procedures of the Department of Family Practice and the Hospitalist program.
- Comply with the provisions of the Hospital Act, the Regional Health Authorities Act, the Medical Services Payment Act, and their regulations.
- Comply with the Health Authority bylaws, rules and regulations, and policies and procedures.
- Follow the Code of Ethics of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick.
Remuneration based on provincial Medical Pay Plan.
- Moving Expense Allowance.
ABOUT THE COMMUNITY:
Fredericton, New Brunswick’s capital is an energetic city having much to offer individuals as well as families. Being an officially bilingual province, Fredericton has a vibrant francophone population.
Fredericton also offers:
- Two Universities, a Community College, the NB college of Craft and Design,
- Many recreational activities including: water sports on the majestic St. John River,
- playing a round of golf on one of the 7 golf courses,
- walking, running or biking on an incredible 120 km trail system,,
- playing tennis in our indoor or outdoor courts,
- skiing and snowboarding at Crabbe Mountain,
- world class Nordic skiing within city limits,
- joining an ultimate Frisbee team,
- beautiful Art Galleries including the world renown Beaverbrook Art Gallery,
- taking in live theatre, ballet, stand-up comedy, symphony, concerts at the Playhouse,
- being entertained by numerous festivals such as the Annual Music Festival, the Highland Games and the Harvest Jazz and Blues Festival, Frostival in the winter months, Shivering Songs winter music festival,
- an outdoor skating rink in the heart of the city,
- Fredericton’s famous Boyce Farmer’s Market,
- great restaurants and pubs,
- stellar microbreweries,
- Science East where children and children at heart are taught the basics of science in a fun and entertaining setting,
- Affordable housing market
- Francophone community centre, Le Centre communautaire Sainte-Anne – with schooling, daycare, sporting activities, weekly francophone movies, happy hours with local francophone entertainment and a health centre,
- Exceptional geographical location with driving distance to multiple Atlantic Canadian, Quebec and eastern seaboard major cities.
- An international airport,
- 4 incredible seasons of weather
- Must hold a valid license to practice medicine in the Province of New Brunswick
- CCFP preferred
- Must be a member in good standing with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick.
- Must have current malpractice insurance from the Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA) appropriate to the category of practice.
- ACLS preferred.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and team-building skills.
- Good attendance and work record.
- Physically able to perform assigned duties.
Applicants are invited to forward their CV along with three references to Denise Coulombe, Physician Recruitment Advisor at Denise.Coulombe@horizonnb.ca
And DECH Hospitalist Program Director Dr. Katherine Hadley firstname.lastname@example.org