THE POSITION: Medicine – Cardiology
Horizon Health Network, Saint John area (Region 2), is actively seeking a permanent full-time Cardiologist. The physician shall take over a comprehensive full-time community-based practice in Cardiology providing both outpatient and inpatient services under the auspices of the Medical Specialties Program and participate in the on-call rota of the NB Heart Centre at the Saint John Regional Hospital.
Cardiologists are encouraged to be part of the Internal Medicine teaching program affiliated with Dalhousie University Medical School and Memorial University Medical School postgraduate program. Teaching in the undergraduate program at Dalhousie Medicine New Brunswick is also encouraged. Information regarding faculty appointments is available upon request. Physicians are also encouraged to be part of the research program.
Horizon has an annual budget of approximately $1.1 billion and has more than 12,600 employees, 1,100 physicians and 5,200 volunteers, auxiliary and alumnae members, as well as 17 foundations and 18 auxiliary and alumnae organizations. Horizon ensures representation from urban and rural areas through a 15-member Board that consists of 7 appointed and 8 elected members of the public. St. Joseph’s Hospital, located in the centre of the City of Saint John, is known as a Centre of Excellence for Geriatric Medicine. The hospital is also home to a thriving ambulatory Surgical Centre, a comprehensive Breast Health Program, women’s health services, various medical and surgical clinics, diagnostic/ therapeutic services, an Urgent Care Centre and the New Brunswick Eye and Tissue Bank.
The NB Heart Centre provides tertiary cardiac care and cardiac surgery to the Provinces of New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island.
Services include CCU, TTE, TEE, Stress echo, Stress nuclear, Cath, PCI, CTO, Shockwave, Rotablator, TAVI, Balloon Mitral Valvuloplasty, MitraClip, PFO and ASD Closure, PPM, Ablation, CRT, Cardiac Rehab, Heart Function Clinic Shock Team, ECMO, “Standard Cardiac Surgery”, Minimally Invasive MV Surgery, Aortic Surgery Program. TEVAR , EVAR, etc.
For more information, visit the Horizon Health Network website at www.horizonnb.ca
HOURS OF WORK:
- Attendance is required at frequent 0700 meetings. These include a variety of administrative and clinical meetings.
§ After-hours and weekend call coverage in coordination with members of the NB Heart Centre
The listed responsibilities are basic. Additional duties may be assigned, by the Medical Director of the NB Heart Centre, the Chief of Medicine or Chief of Staff as may be necessary to the operation of the NB Heart Centre and Horizon Health Network:
- Provide comprehensive inpatient and outpatient diagnostic services.
- Ensure adequate coverage for your patients during times of absence.
- Participate in on-call responsibilities as defined by the Medical Director of the NB Heart Centre.
- Participate on Cardiac Care Unit (CCU).
- Participate in medical practice that is compatible with the Health Authority’s mission, values and strategic directions.
Standard remuneration is Fee-for-Service which is a direct compensation between the physician and Medicare of New Brunswick. On call remuneration is provided. No source deductions can be provided.
- Candidates may be eligible for a Provincial Recruitment Incentive with a Return of Service Agreement.
- Moving Expense Allowance.
EXPECTED START DATE: As soon as possible.
ABOUT THE COMMUNITY:
A playground in Atlantic Canada surrounded by fresh waterways on one side and the ocean on the other.
With a community of Maritime and Acadian people whose rich friendly culture will include you.
To a community where families are able to raise their children in a safe, close-knit environment with a reasonable cost of living.
The Saint John area offers you a broad range of affordable housing options, from heritage properties to executive homes within the city and in nearby Kennebecasis Valley. Saint John, a booming harbour city is Canada's oldest incorporated city (1785) and home to the country's oldest museum and farmers' market. For spouses and families, there are excellent employment and educational prospects. The nearby towns and villages, such as St. Stephen, Sussex, and Grand Manan, provide a diverse selection of recreational and sport activities that appeal to all age groups.
- A medical degree is required.
- Certification with the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada as a Specialist in Cardiology.
- Candidates must be eligible for licensure with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick.
- Proficiency in English is required.
- In accordance with immigration requirements, preference will be given to Canadian citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and team-building skills.
- Good attendance and work record.
- Physically able to perform assign duties.
Applicants are invited to forward their CV to Hope Kelly, Physician Recruitment Advisor, 400 University Avenue, PO Box 5200, Saint John NB E2L 4L4 Fax: (506) 648-6364 or Email: Hope.Kelly@HorizonNB.ca or visit www.NBHealthJobs.ca