Psychiatrist –Operational Stress Injury Clinic
POSITION DESCRIPTION:Horizon Health Network requires a full-time community psychiatrist for their Operational Stress Injury Clinic (OSI) in Fredericton, New Brunswick. This psychiatrist would be one of 3.5 Psychiatrists delivering service to the clinic. They would be an active member of the multidisciplinary team serving military veterans and RCMP (active and retired) through the OSI Clinic which is funded by Veteran Affairs Canada.
The successful candidate would become a member of our Department of Psychiatry, which consists of a total of 21 Psychiatrists when all positions are filled. The Department consists of quite a heterogeneous group of physicians, with many different countries of origin and many different personal and professional paths that have brought them to Fredericton. The Department provides outpatient services at Community Addictions & Mental Health Centres in Fredericton, Woodstock and Perth, New Brunswick. Subspecialty services in Seniors Mental Health, Early Psychosis, Flexible Assertive Community Treatment, Child & Adolescent, and Addictions are provided within outpatient services. Members also provide Psychiatric care to military veterans and RCMP through our Operational Stress Injury Clinic. Others provide service within a First Nations Mental Health Program and at a University Medical Clinic. We have a 25 bed inpatient unit, located at the Dr. Everett Chalmers Regional Hospital in Fredericton, fully staffed by a multidisciplinary team. This unit houses a Concentrated Nursing Care area with capacity for 5 severely ill inpatients and provides a Short Stay Program for Borderline Personality Disorder. Hospital services also provide care to patients admitted to other medical floors and youth who are admitted to the Pediatrics floor with Mental Health concerns. The Department makes regular use of the Provincial Telehealth Service in order to provide care to individuals in more remote parts of the province.
All members of the Department participate in regular Departmental meetings as well as regular educational sessions. Members are also expected to participate in an on call roster, as well as a roster for providing ECT. Most members also participate in clinical supervision of medical students and residents, as they have affiliations with Dalhousie and Memorial Universities. Members employed at the Operational Stress Injury Clinic must maintain compliance with Veteran’s Affairs Canada’s outcome monitoring requirements.
Call expectations is shared with the other physicians in the group.
Preference will be given to Canadian citizens or permanent residents who hold a certificate in Psychiatry by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of the Canada, but candidates possessing equivalent skills or licensed by the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick could be considered
Horizon Health Network (www.horizonnb.ca) is the largest regional health authority in New Brunswick and the second-largest health authority in Atlantic Canada, operating 12 hospitals and more than 100 medical facilities, clinics and offices providing medical services ranging from acute care to community based health services to New Brunswick, northern Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. With 1,000 physicians, an annual budget exceeding $1 billion and approximately 13,000 employees, Horizon Health Network’s strategic vision focuses on research, innovation and education.
The Chalmers Hospital is a regional referral hospital with all major surgical services on site with the exception of cardiac and neurosurgery. With 314 beds and a 9-bed intensive care unit, the Chalmers Hospital serves a catchment population of approximately 175,000. It is also a training site for the Dalhousie University Family Medicine Program.
HOURS OF WORK
Hours of work are 8:30-4:30 Monday to Friday
- Provide an outpatient service for psychiatric assessment and management of new and follow-up OSI patients.
- Conduct, order or ensure appropriate psychiatric assessments, appropriate psychosocial and laboratory investigations, and pharmacological & psychosocial interventions as per current standard practice.
- Monitors and evaluates treatment results.
- Maintains interdisciplinary treatment by reviewing treatment plans and progress, and consulting and collaborating with other OSI mental health care providers.
- Provide a minimum of 1650 hours of paid employment each year.
- Participate in all interdisciplinary team meetings.
- Attend monthly staff meetings
- Participate in medical practice that is compatible with the corporate mission, values, and strategic direction of Horizon Health Network
- Maintain OSSIC network standards for timeliness for completing clinical assessments.
- Maintain client files in accordance with Horizon Health Network standards.
Note: These responsibilities are the basic and prime duties associated with this position; other related and allied duties may be assigned from time to time as may be necessary to the operation of Horizon Health Network.
- Attend appropriate CME events as required by specialty.
- Comply with the policies and procedures of the Department of Psychiatry.
- Comply with the provisions of the Hospital Act, the Regional Health Authorities Act, Community Health Centre Regulation, the Medical Services Payment Act, and their regulations.
- Comply with the Health Authority bylaws, rules and regulations, and policies and procedures.
- Follow the Code of Ethics of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick and the Canadian Medical Association.
- Maintain in good standing with appropriate professional and regulatory colleges.
This is a salaried position. Remuneration range is as follows: Non-Certified Specialist: $230,074 to $247,624 annually / Certified Specialist: $253,058 to $279,682 annually, 37.50 hours of psychiatric care per week.
- Eligible for the Provincial Recruitment Incentive
- Moving Expense Allowance
Fredericton, New Brunswick’s capital is an energetic city having much to offer individuals as well as families. Located in an officially bilingual province, Fredericton has a vibrant francophone population. Le Centre communautaire Sainte-Anne houses schooling from daycare to high school, various sporting activities, weekly francophone movies, happy hours with local francophone entertainment and a Health Centre making Fredericton a wonderful location to live. The city also offers many recreational activities such as enjoying water sports on the majestic St. John River, playing a round of golf on one of the 7 golf courses, walking, running or biking on various trails, playing tennis in our indoor or outdoor courts, skiing and snowboarding at Crabbe Mountain, joining an ultimate Frisbee team, to visiting the beautiful Art Galleries including the world renown Beaverbrook Art Gallery, taking in live theatre at the Playhouse, being entertained by numerous festivals such as the Annual Music Festival and the Harvest Jazz and Blues Festival, Frostival in the winter months, a free outdoor skating rink in the heart of the city, Fredericton’s famous Boyce Farmer’s Market, Science East where children and children at heart are taught the basics of science in a fun and entertaining setting, Fredericton captures it all.
- Must be able to travel between both Community Mental Health Centres.
- Must hold a valid license to practice medicine in the Province of New Brunswick.
- Must be a member in good standing with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick.
- Must have current malpractice insurance from the Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA) appropriate to the category of practice.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and team-building skills.
- Good attendance and work record.
- Physically mentally able to perform assigned duties.
Applicants are invited to forward their CV along with the names and position titles of three references to Denise Coulombe, Physician Recruitment Advisor at Denise.Coulombe@horizonnb.ca