Horizon Health Network, Saint John area (Region 2), is actively seeking a permanent full-time Cardiac Anesthesiologist. Consideration will be given to locum placements.
The Department of Anesthesiology consists of twenty (20) anesthesiologists practising in a collegial group, providing anesthesia services at two (2) sites in the city. We are presently seeking a compatible anesthesiologist with cardiac anesthesia training to join our department.
The Saint John Regional Hospital is a tertiary care facility, a designated Level I trauma centre, and serves as the provincial referral centre for cardiac surgery. All major surgical specialties including obstetrics are provided; and an active acute pain service and chronic pain clinic. Applicants with additional training in chronic pain would have the opportunity to participate in a developing multidisciplinary chronic pain clinic overseen by the Department of Anesthesiology. The Department also provides services at St. Joseph’s Hospital, which is a day surgery facility.
The New Brunswick Heart Centre located in Saint John, is the sole tertiary cardiac care program in the province of New Brunswick. It has an annual cardiac surgery volume of approximately 800 cases, including standard revascularization (CABG) and valve procedures as well as complex and minimally invasive mitral and aortic valve surgery. There is an active multidisciplinary Transcatheter Aortic Valve (TAVI) program. In addition to cardiac anesthesia the successful applicant would provide general operating room anesthesia services and share in the on-call schedule.
The Department is affiliated with Dalhousie University Medical School and Memorial University Medical School postgraduate program and teaching in the undergraduate program is available at Dalhousie Medicine New Brunswick. Information regarding faculty appointments is available upon request.
Horizon Health Network is the largest health-care organization in Atlantic Canada, operating 12 hospitals and more than 100 medical facilities, clinics and offices providing medical services ranging from acute care to community based health services to New Brunswick, northern Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. With 1,000 physicians, an annual budget exceeding $1 billion and approximately 13,000 employees, Horizon Health Network’s strategic vision focuses on research, innovation and education.
For more information, visit the Horizon Health Network website at www.horizonnb.ca
- HOURS OF WORK: Hours of work are normally provided between 0830hrs – 1630hrs Monday to Friday, unless otherwise agreed upon by the Service/Department Head.
- After-hours and weekend call coverage in coordination with members of the Department.
- These responsibilities are basic. Additional duties may be assigned from time to time as may be necessary to the operation of Horizon Health Network:Provide Anesthesiology services in the operating room as required.
- Provide inpatient care including rounds on patients.
- Provide consultations to hospital-based patients as requested by attending staff.
- Participate in the teaching of other members of health professions in subjects related to the practice of Anesthesiology.
- Organize on-site CME and participate in the teaching rounds of the Department.
- Participate in medical practice that is compatible with the Health Authority’s mission, values and strategic directions.
Standard remuneration is Fee-for-Service which is a direct compensation between the physician and Medicare of New Brunswick. On call remuneration is provided. No source deductions can be provided.
- INCENTIVES:Candidates may be eligible for a Provincial Recruitment Incentive with a Return of Service agreement.
- Moving Expense Allowance with a Return of Service agreement.
- EXPECTED START DATE:As soon as possible.
ABOUT THE COMMUNITY:
A playground in Atlantic Canada surrounded by fresh waterways on one side and the ocean on the other.
With a community of Maritime and Acadian people whose rich friendly culture will include you.
To a community where families are able to raise their children in a safe, close-knit environment with a reasonable cost of living.
The Saint John area offers you a broad range of affordable housing options, from heritage properties to executive homes within the city and in nearby Kennebecasis Valley. Saint John, a booming harbor city is Canada's oldest incorporated city (1785) and home to the country's oldest museum and farmers' market. For spouses and families, there are excellent employment and educational prospects. The nearby towns and villages, such as St. Stephen, Sussex, and Grand Manan, provide a diverse selection of recreational and sport activities that appeal to all age groups.
- QUALIFICATIONS:A medical degree is required.
- Certification with the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada as Specialist in Anesthesiology or equivalent.
- Fellowship training in cardiac anesthesia and certification in perioperative trans-esophageal echocardiography.
- Candidates must be eligible for licensure with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick.
- Proficiency in English is required. Bilingual skills would be considered an asset.
- In accordance with immigration requirements, preference will be given to Canadian citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and team-building skills.
- Good attendance and work record.
- Physically able to perform assign duties.