General Practitioner Oncology (GPO)
The Moncton Hospital (TMH), a facility within the Horizon Health Network, is seeking General Practitioner Oncology (GPO) to expand our GOP Program. GPOs are responsible for providing comprehensive inpatient care for assigned patients admitted to our institution or transferred from specialty services for appropriate family medicine care.
The position is typically shared between two physicians working 7 days on/7 days off. The schedule is evolving and negotiable. Physicians are on-call every other night while on duty and receive a mandated on-call stipend. There is fee-for-service billing for any call-backs to the hospital while on-call after regular working hours. Scheduling vacation/absences would be determined within the group which will have responsibility to maintain ongoing coverage.
The Moncton Hospital is a 386-bed, tertiary and critical care facility within Horizon Health Network. It is a major referral hospital serving communities across New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and northern Nova Scotia. It is a level II Trauma Centre which offers tertiary services in neurosurgery, oncology and neonatal care and includes all other major services and subspecialties. The Department of Hematology-Oncology admits patients know to have a hematological or oncologic diagnosis and need hospitalization directly in relation to this said diagnosis. The patient is admitted under an Oncologist or Hematologist. The day-to-day care is being managed by GPOs in collaboration with the attending physician. The scope of practice includes all oncological and hematological tumor sites as well as occasionally some cases of benign hematology.
- To provide comprehensive medical care of oncology patients. The total number of patients under one GPO’s care will vary but should not exceed 15 patients.
- To optimize admission orders, treatment and investigative modalities and timely discharge planning.
- To ensure effective and timely electronic documentation and communication with the patient and the patient’s family/support system during the hospital visit/stay.
- To ensure efficient completion of dictated discharge summaries/documentation, i.e. special authorizations, etc., to facilitate continuity of care with other health care providers in the community.
- To optimize efficient utilization of health care resources.
- To organize daily rounds to optimize care of acutely ill patients and timely discharges.
- On-call will be required as the program develops.
- To participate in the use of departmental and corporate evidence-based rules of practice to ensure that expected standards of care are achieved.
- To participate in medical practice that is compatible with the Horizon Health Network’s mission, values and strategic directions.
- To participate in hospital quality initiatives and committees.
- To attend required departmental and hospital quality improvement meetings.
- To participate, if requested by the Clinical Department Head, on some committee/administrative work for the department.
- As a teaching site for Dalhousie University, the hospitalist team may be asked to provide teaching to family medicine residents/learners, for which a faculty appointment can be arranged if qualified.
Remuneration is $142.80/hour sessional rate x 8 hours per day. The rate is based on performance and can be retroactive. Positions are typically shared between two physicians working 7 days on/7 days off. The schedule is evolving and negotiable. Physicians are on-call every other night while on duty and receive a mandated on-call stipend. There is fee-for-service billing for any call-backs to the hospital while on-call after regular working hours.
- Moving allowance
- Opportunity to teach with the Family Medicine Residency Training Program with faculty appointment with Dalhousie Medical School,
EXPECTED START DATE:
As soon as possible.
ABOUT THE COMMUNITY:
The city, with adjoining municipalities, has a population of more than 144,000, and was ranked as one of the best Canadian cities for quality of community life. There is an abundance of educational, cultural and recreational opportunities including easy access to warm water beaches of the Northumberland Strait, and also the scenic Bay of Fundy area. Visit the City’s website at www.moncton.ca.
- Must hold a valid license with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick.
- Must be a member in good standing with the College of Family Physicians of Canada.
- Must be a licentiate of the Medical Council of Canada (LMCC).
- Must have a current malpractice insurance from the Canadian Medical Protective Association appropriate to the category of practice.
- Must be eligible for membership in the Department of Family Medicine.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and team-building skills.
- Excellent attendance and work record.