Horizon Health Network, Saint John area (Region 2), is actively seeking a 1.0 FTE permanent Palliative Care Physician. As part of an established team of palliative care specialist physicians, the physician shall provide care as the attending physician for patients admitted to our inpatient acute palliative medicine unit (9 bed unit), as well as palliative medicine acute care inpatient consults. The physician shall also provide home visit palliative care consultations within the Greater Saint John area and neighbouring communities, spanning Sussex to St. Stephen, NB. A valid driver’s license and vehicle are required. Participation in the on-call schedule is proportional to FTE. Teaching and supervision of medical learners is integral to this role and requires appointment with Dalhousie University and Memorial University of Newfoundland.
Horizon has an annual budget of approximately $1.1 billion and has more than 12,600 employees, 1,100 physicians and 5,200 volunteers, auxiliary and alumnae members, as well as 17 foundations and 18 auxiliary and alumnae organizations. Horizon ensures representation from urban and rural areas through a 15-member Board that consists of 7 appointed and 8 elected members of the public.
HOURS OF WORK:
- Hours of work are normally provided between 0830hrs – 1630hrs Monday to Friday, unless otherwise agreed upon by the Service/Department Head.
- After-hours and weekend call coverage in coordination with members of the Department.
· Participates in provision of specialist palliative care consultations and care in a variety of settings in rotation in an established palliative care service. This includes:
o Acting as admitting and attending physician to patients admitted to the Palliative Care Unit of the Saint John Regional Hospital.
o Participating in Palliative Medicine Consult Service, providing guidance to physicians and direct medical care to patients for Saint John Area of the Horizon Health Network, consisting of both in-hospital consults and outpatient consults including home visits and outpatient clinics.
o Participates in after-hours on-call coverage for Palliative Care Unit and inpatient palliative medicine consultation service.
· Works in collaboration with an interdisciplinary team that focuses on the physical, emotional, spiritual and practical aspects of a person living and dying from a terminal illness and supporting their loved ones and caregivers.
· Actively participates in regular multidisciplinary rounds both in hospital and with the Extra Mural Program in the community, with the goal of anticipatory patient management, symptom control and timely discharge planning, if appropriate.
· Participates as a member of committees relevant to Palliative Care.
· As interest and resources permit, participates in research opportunities/projects.
· Participates in delivering continuing education to the multidisciplinary team and other primary care providers.
· Actively participates in developing and delivering a teaching program for medical residents and medical students including but not exclusive of lectures, tutorials, demonstrations and clinical observation/supervision of their clinical performance.
These responsibilities are basic. Additional duties may be assigned from time to time as may be necessary to the operation of Horizon Health Network.
This is a Salaried position, remuneration is based on the New Brunswick Medical Pay Plan. The current rates range between $192,244-$209,846 (Family Medicine Specialists with enhanced skills) and $265,928 to a maximum of $293,904 (Certified Specialists) annually (excluding benefits and source deductions) based on qualifications and experience.
On call remuneration is Fee-For-Service which is a direct compensation between the physician and Medicare New Brunswick.
You will be required to provide Medicare with history-only claims (shadow-billing) electronically. You will need to request a sessional shadow-billing account with Medicare.
· Moving Expense Allowance with a Return of Service Agreement.
EXPECTED START DATE:
· Late Spring 2022
ABOUT THE COMMUNITY:
A playground in Atlantic Canada surrounded by fresh waterways on one side and the ocean on the other.
With a community of Maritime and Acadian people whose rich friendly culture will include you.
To a community where families are able to raise their children in a safe, close-knit environment with a reasonable cost of living.
The Saint John area offers you a broad range of affordable housing options, from heritage properties to executive homes within the city and in nearby Kennebecasis Valley. Saint John, a booming harbour city is Canada's oldest incorporated city (1785) and home to the country's oldest museum and farmers' market. For spouses and families, there are excellent employment and educational prospects. The nearby towns and villages, such as St. Stephen, Sussex, and Grand Manan, provide a diverse selection of recreational and sport activities that appeal to all age groups.
· Valid medical degree.
· Eligibility for medical licensure with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick.
· Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons certification in the subspecialty of Palliative Medicine, Certificate of Added Competence (CAC) through the College of Family Physicians of Canada, or a minimum of four (4) years of palliative care consultant experience.
All expressions of interest will be confidential. Please send a cover letter and your CV to Dr. Julia Wildish at Julia.Wildish@Horizonnb.ca