Family Physician Opportunity – Chipman, New Brunswick
The Chipman Health Centre is a Multidiscipline facility consisting of physicians, nurses, a Social Worker, Dietitian, and Respiratory Therapist who work as a team to ensure that patients receive primary care from the most appropriate provider. As a primary care family physician in this setting, the physician will deliver care appropriate to outpatient services and work within an interdisciplinary team to provide family centered primary care that emphasizes health promotion, disease and injury prevention, chronic disease management and client education. The physician provides primary care functions to clients across the lifespan and participates in the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of programs and services for individuals, families and the community.
The physician reports to the Clinic Manager or designate for operational issues of the Clinic and to the Chief of Family Practice or designate for clinical care and medical quality issues.
Horizon Health Network (www.horizonnb.ca) is the largest regional health authority in New Brunswick and the second-largest health authority in Atlantic Canada, operating 12 hospitals and more than 100 medical facilities, clinics and offices providing medical services ranging from acute care to community based health services to New Brunswick, northern Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. With 1,000 physicians, an annual budget exceeding $1 billion and approximately 13,000 employees, Horizon Health Network’s strategic vision focuses on research, innovation and education.
The Chipman Health Centre provides primary health care services with a collaborating team of health care professionals which includes physicians, nurses, and other allied health disciplines. Physician services are provided by booked appointments to patients of the individual physician practice. The health centre staff works closely with a number of partners to meet the health care needs of the community.
HOURS OF WORK
Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (variable)
· Performs clinical duties including but not restricted to seeing and assessing scheduled and unscheduled patients for routine and illness care, prescribing treatment, consults, referral to other healthcare professionals as required, making home visits as necessary and appropriate follow-up to patients across the lifespan.
· Provide family-centered primary care by taking into account risk factors (environmental, social, psychological and medical) in a manner which can be understood by the client, and when applicable, their families.
· Maintain a minimum patient caseload of 1,000 patients.
· Practice in a collaborative fashion as a member of an interdisciplinary team and consult with members of other health professions as appropriate.
· Participate in the use of departmental and corporate evidence-based rules of practice to ensure that expected standards of care are achieved.
· Participate in medical practice that is compatible with the Health Authority’s mission, values and strategic directions.
· Participate in the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of treatment, education, counseling and CHC health promotion programs and services for individuals, families and the community.
· Participate in after-hours on-call coverage in coordination with other medical staff to ensure provision to the local nursing home and the local Extra Mural Program.
· Participate in CHC team meetings/conferences.
· Participate, by consensus of medical staff and in coordination with the Nurse Manager in
teaching and supervision of medical students and residents
· Participate in teaching, mentoring and providing a resource to Nurse Practitioners, students and other health care professionals.
· Other duties that may arise by circumstance and may be assigned by the Administrative Director and/or the Chief of Family Practice.
Note: These responsibilities are the basic and prime duties associated with this position; other related and allied duties may be assigned from time to time as may be necessary to the operation of Horizon Health Network.
· Attend appropriate CPD events as required to maintain membership in the CFPC or equivalent to those requirements.
· Comply with the policies and procedures of the Department of Family Practice.
· Comply with the provisions of the Hospital Act, the Regional Health Authorities Act, the Medical Services Payment Act, and their regulations.
· Comply with the Health Authority bylaws, rules and regulations, and policies and procedures.
· Follow the Code of Ethics of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick.
Remuneration is fee-for-service which is a direct compensation between the physician and Medicare of New Brunswick
· Eligible for the Provincial Recruitment Incentive
· Moving Expense Allowance
EXPECTED START DATE:
ABOUT THE COMMUNITY:
The Village of Chipman, is located on the banks of the Salmon River, and at the head of Grand Lake, the largest freshwater lake in the Maritime Provinces. The village itself is located around 73.4 kilometres from the capital city of Fredericton.
Chipman maintains a peaceful, rural setting while offering year-round recreation, community events, and easy access to all needed services.
Historically, Chipman's industrial base was grounded in forestry, coal and brick. The tradition continues with the ultra-modern facilities of J.D. Irving Woodlands Ltd. and Grand Lake Timber Ltd, which process much of the abundant local timber, which is still the main focus of the area's economy.
Chipman is centrally located, a hub to the major cities of Fredericton, Moncton, Saint John and Miramichi. But what makes it really special is its fine people and outstanding community spirit!
- Must hold a valid license to practice medicine in the Province of New Brunswick
- Must be a member in good standing with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick.
- Must have current malpractice insurance from the Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA) appropriate to the category of practice.
- Must be certified in CPR and ACLS.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and team-building skills.
- Good attendance and work record.
- Physically able to perform assigned duties.
Applicants are invited to forward their CV along with the names and position titles of three references to Molly Pevlin, Physician Recruitment Advisor at Molly.Jenkins@HorizonNB.ca