Emergency Medicine Opportunity
Fredericton, New Brunswick
Horizon Health Network seeks emergency medicine physicians for the Dr. Everett Chalmers Regional Hospital in Fredericton, NB. This opportunity requires certification with FRCP, FACEP (ABEM), CCFP(EM) or any equivalent qualifications and eligibility for an independent practice license with the College of Physicians & Surgeons of NB. Remuneration is by sessional rate. The candidates will share responsibilities with 25 fulltime and part time Emergency physicians. In addition, the candidates must have current ATLS and ACLS and a willingness to participate in teaching, research, and administrative roles including monthly meetings.
Horizon Health Network (www.horizonnb.ca) is the largest regional health authority in New Brunswick and the second-largest health authority in Atlantic Canada, operating 12 hospitals and more than 100 medical facilities, clinics and offices providing medical services ranging from acute care to community based health services to New Brunswick, northern Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. With 1,000 physicians, an annual budget exceeding $1 billion and approximately 13,000 employees, Horizon Health Network’s strategic vision focuses on research, innovation and education.
The Chalmers Hospital is a regional referral hospital with all major surgical services on site with the exception of cardiac and neurosurgery. With 314 beds and a 9-bed intensive care unit, the Chalmers Hospital serves a catchment population of approximately 175,000. It is also a training site for the Dalhousie University Family Medicine Program.
HOURS OF WORK
Hours of work are a minimum of 29 hours per week or as required as per departmental needs.
· Provide emergency-centered care to all age groups and genders presenting to the emergency room.
· Collaborate with Nurse Practitioners, Registered Nurses and other allied medical staff.
· Participate in medical practice that is compatible with the Health Authority’s mission, values and strategic directions
· Participate in Medical Staff and Hospital Committees as required
· Other professional medical work falling within the scope of practice that may arise by circumstance may be assigned by the Vice President-Medical Affairs, Chief of Staff or Head of Family Practice in conversation with the Physician.
Note: These responsibilities are the basic and prime duties associated with this position; other related and allied duties may be assigned from time to time as may be necessary to the operation of Horizon Health
· Maintain membership in the FRCPC/CAEP or equivalent to those requirements.
· Participate in physician meetings and appropriate team meetings
· Comply with the policies and procedures of the Department of Emergency Department
· Comply with the provisions of the Hospital Act, the Regional Health Authorities Act, Medical Services Payment Act and their regulations.
· Comply with the Health Authority bylaws, rules and regulations and policies and procedures.
· Follow the Code of Ethics of College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick
Remuneration is by a sessional rate arrangement as outlined in the New Brunswick Physicians’ Manual. No source deductions can be provided.
- Moving Expense Allowance
- Provincial Physician Recruitment Incentive
EXPECTED START DATE:
As soon as possible
ABOUT THE COMMUNITY:
Situated in the beautiful St. John River Valley, Fredericton, New Brunswick’s capital is an energetic city having much to offer individuals as well as families. Being an officially bilingual province, Fredericton has a vibrant francophone population. Le Centre communautaire Sainte-Anne houses schooling from daycare to high school, various sporting activities, weekly francophone movies, happy hours with local francophone entertainment and a Health Centre making Fredericton a wonderful location to live. The city also offers many recreational activities such as enjoying water sports on the majestic St. John River, playing a round of golf on one of the 7 golf courses, walking, running or biking on various trails, playing tennis in our indoor or outdoor courts, skiing and snowboarding at Crabbe Mountain, joining an ultimate Frisbee team, to visiting the beautiful Art Galleries including the world renown Beaverbrook Art Gallery, taking in live theatre at the Playhouse, being entertained by numerous festivals such as the Annual Music Festival and the Harvest Jazz and Blues Festival, Frostival in the winter months, a free outdoor skating rink in the heart of the city, Fredericton’s famous Boyce Farmer’s Market, Science East where children and children at heart are taught the basics of science in a fun and entertaining setting, Fredericton captures it all.
· ATLS and ACLS certification is required.
· Candidates must be eligible for an unsupervised licensure with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick.
· Must be a member in good standing with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick.
· Must have current malpractice insurance from the Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA) appropriate to the category of practice.
· Proficiency in English is required. Bilingual skills would be considered an asset.
· Excellent communication, interpersonal and team-building skills.
· Good attendance and work record.
· Physically able to perform assign duties.
** Horizon Health Network adheres to all privacy legislation and policies to ensure confidential patient, business, financial and employee information is disclosed only to those authorized to receive it for the purpose of fulfilling their job duties. **.
Applicants are invited to forward their CV along to Molly Pevlin, Physician Recruitment Advisor at Molly.Pevlin@HorizonNB.ca.